Academic Calendar
Bulletin Board(17)
Cafeteria Specials
Campus News
Campus Safety & Security
Compressed Schedules
Directory - Instructor
Directory - Staff
Distance Education
Forms, Resources, Policies and Procedures
Graduate Survey
Jobs at LCCC(7)
LCCC Mission
Meeting Space
Student Surveys
Support Services
Technology Resources
Transfer Info/College Visit Schedule

Log Out


Text/Email Alerts
MSDSonline HQ
LCCC Website
Student Email Directory
WebAdvisor/Class Listings
Learn On Demand Learning Center
Sametime Me
Microsoft Software
College Catalogs
2017-2018 Student Handbook
Online Bookstore
Confidential Tip Form
Financial Aid
Career Services
Career Cruising
PA Voter Registration Form
Phone Directory

Welcome to the Office of Accessibility Services Page! Luzerne County Community College provides equal access to programs, opportunities, and activities at LCCC in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Title I and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Pennsylvania Human Relations Act, Luzerne County Community College's Non-Discrimination Policy and Student's with Disabilities Policy.

Any Luzerne County Community College student with a documented disability can receive reasonable accommodations that will provide him/her with equal access to programs, opportunities or activities at LCCC.

This site provides important information regarding accessibility services for student, parents of students with accessibility needs, and instructors.

Contact Us

Debra Ann Passarella
Accessibility Services
Building 14, Campus Center, Counseling and Advising, Rm 125
1333 South Prospect Street, Nanticoke, PA  18634


It is the responsibility of the student to request accommodations. Although your high school may have submitted your IEP or Evaluation Report from High School, this does not mean you now have the same accommodations as you did in the past. Merely submitting this documentation does not serve as your request for accommodations while enrolled at LCCC.

If you would like to receive accommodations please follow these steps:

Step 1: Obtain a copy of documentation of your disability. View Guidelines

Step 2: Make an appointment with Counselor of Accessibility Services to request accommodations. This must be done EACH semester you are enrolled. This appointment should be made prior to the beginning of a semester, to ensure instructors can know from the first day of class that accommodations are needed. Accommodations will begin once the instructor receives the accommodation letter. This will also give the Counselor of Accessibility Services/Instructor enough time to arrange for proper accommodations if preparation is needed.

Step 3: During appointment with Counselor of Accessibility Services, student and counselor will discuss what accommodations will best aid the student in being successfully in classes. This will be based on the written documentation of disability, as well as self-report by the student. Many accommodations that are offered in High School can be offered on the Post-Secondary Level. But there are some accommodations that are not permitted in college. View Differences between High School and College From this discussion, the Counselor of Accessibility Services will develop the student's accommodation letter.

Step 4: The student is responsible for providing each instructor with an accommodation letter which outlines the student's accessibility needs. View How to Discuss Your Accommodations Letter with Your instructor

Step 5: If you feel you are being discriminated in any way, you are not receiving proper accommodations, or are having difficulty working with your instructor regarding accommodations, please see Grievance Procedures. View Grievance Procedures

Information for Parents/Advocates

As you prepare a student for post-secondary education, you may find that some differences when transitioning from High School to College. View Differences between High School and College

Your rights as a parent will change and a student must give written permission for you to be involved in any aspect of his/her post-secondary academic career. This written permission can also be revoked at the student's request.

The best thing you can do for a student in preparation for college is to promote self-advocacy. If the student was not involved in their IEP, but would like accommodations in college, it will be necessary for him/her to know what their disability is and how it affects him/her in an educational setting.

It is important for the student to know what accommodations have worked best for him/her and what accommodations may not have worked in High School in order to promote a smooth transition to post-secondary education.

If the student relies heavily on accommodations that are considered modifications, such as any changes to the curriculum, it may be helpful to start thinking about how he/she will perform academically without these adaptations in a post-secondary setting.

Allow the student to make his/her own appointments and function independently whenever possible.

Know important community, state, federal agencies and programs that offer support for college students with disabilities.

U.S. Department of Education (FERPA)
Pa Department of Labor & Industry
Pa Council on Independent Living
Pa Youth Leadership Network

What if I believe I need accommodations for my Placement Test?
You will be asked to provide documentation regarding your disability. View Guidelines

Once documentation is reviewed by Counselor of Accessibility Services, accommodations will be discussed with student. Test date will be arranged and Counselor of Accessibility Services will make proctor aware of accessibility needs.

If this process is not followed, you cannot be guaranteed accommodations for your test.

Testing in the Learning Lab

Students can arrange to have their testing in the Learning Lab if this is a part of their accommodations (Extended Test Time, Distraction Free Testing, Oral Testing, or if they need to use a word processor to complete test). Students must arrange testing in the Learning Lab with instructor at least one week in advance.

The Learning Lab/Student Support Services Department is located on the lower level of Building 14, next to Counseling and Advising. Instructor must drop of a student's test to the Learning Lab for proctoring and instructor must pick up test once it is completed. Student is not to hand-carry test and/or return to instructor. If test is in Electronic Format, it can be emailed to

Testing is typically done Tuesday & Wednesday - 9:00 – 11:00 and 2-7, Friday – 9-11.

Facilities and Programs

All facilities are in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other applicable regulations.

Handicapped parking is available in several locations throughout the main campus including four spaces, centrally located behind the College Library, which provides direct access to the center of the campus. Refer to campus map for parking locations. In the event a handicapped parking space is necessary, the student should obtain a request form from the Director of Campus Safety and Security whose office is located in Building 1. Every effort will be made to accommodate the student's needs.

Guidelines for Documentation of a Disability

All students who are requesting accommodations must submit written documentation of a disability.

Type of documentation will vary based on the student's disability.

In general, the documentation must consist of the most current evaluation by an appropriately licensed or certified professional--for example, a doctor, ophthalmologist, audiologist, rehabilitation professional, or psychologist. Documentation must discuss the current impact of the disability. If the most current documentation does not reflect the student's current functional limitations, more relevant information may need to be obtained. If this is determined by the Counselor of Accessibility Services, it is up to the student to secure this information.

Documentation should include:

  • Current Diagnosis
  • Functional limitations in regards to educational settings
  • Current treatment (including medications assistive devices/services)
  • The predictable need for re-evaluation
  • Professional recommendations for reasonable accommodations based on current use or estimated effectiveness
  • Signature as well as credentials of the diagnosing professional

All documentation pertaining to a student's disability will be maintained in the files of Counselor of Accessibility Services. Existing College Policy will be followed regarding release of information as outlined in the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).

How to Discuss your Accommodation Letter with Your Instructor

Usually it is best to give your instructor your accommodation letter on the FIRST day of class, AFTER class is over when the classroom has cleared of students. You can also make an appointment with your instructor to discuss your accommodations during his/her office hours.

Depending on your accommodations, you may need to have specific discussions with your instructors.

For example:
Extended time for tests: This accommodation should be arranged with the instructor at least one week in advance of the test.

This is just one examples of arranging accommodations. The Counselor of Accessibility Services will discuss other arrangements of accommodations as they pertain to your situation.

What if I am having difficulty receiving accommodations from an instructor? View Grievance Procedures

Differences between High School and College
Individuals with Disabilities Improvement Act (based on Entitlement)Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (based on Eligibility)
IEP (Individualized Education Program)Accommodation Letter
Note: Having a IEP in High School does not automatically translate into accommodations in College
It is the schools responsibility to identify a student with accessibility needs It is a student's sole responsibility to self-report a disability and request accommodations.
Accommodations can include adaptations and modifications such as altering class assignment, providing a word bank for "fill in the blank," and limiting number of multiple choices answers on tests. Accommodations can include academic adjustments such as extended time and preferential seating, but modifications that would change the class curriculum and content cannot be made.
Services can include personal aid in the classroom, PT, OT, and transportation. Student is responsible for services such as personal care attendant, PT, OT, and transportation. Services can include notetakers and test proctors.
Student has advocates such as parents and learning support and may not be necessarily involved in the creation of the IEP. Self-advocacy is promoted and the student must independently take charge of requesting and receiving accommodations.
Parents have right to be involved in IEP and are included in all decision-making processes. Privacy laws (FERPA) prevent information being shared with others, including the student's parents, unless written permission is given by the student. This permission can also be taken away.

Grievance Procedures

LCCC is required to provide reasonable accommodations. If an accommodation is deemed to be unreasonable or if it places undue hardship on the college it may not be granted.

It is a student's responsibility to request accommodations promptly at the beginning of each semester. The Counselor of Accessibility Services then has 10 working days to implement reasonable accommodations.

If accommodations are requested at any time other than the beginning of each semester, the accommodations are valid starting on the date the accommodations are arranged and disclosed to the instructor. Accommodations will not be applied to the time period before the student self-disclosed/requested accommodations.

Once accommodations are in place, it is the student's responsibility to let Counselor of Accessibility Services know if he/she has an accommodation issue. Counselor of Accessibility Services will then have a discussion with the appropriate party to resolve the issue. Then, if necessary, the student, Counselor of Accessibility Services and the appropriate party, for example, the instructor, will meet and discuss the situation in order to ensure reasonable accommodations.

If a student has communicated his/her concerns to Counselor of Accessibility Services, but still believes their accommodation issues have not been resolved properly, a grievance procedure can be initiated by contacting the Section 504/ADA Coordinator, Rosana Reyes, RM 516 in Building 5.